The release of the GA version of Xeround’s Add-on for Heroku a couple of months ago has been generating a lot of interest in the Ruby community, with many developers already using Xeround to power their Heroku MySQL applications.
We’ve been getting some questions regarding the different ways for connecting Heroku apps to Xeround, and the different plans Xeround offers for Heroku users.
So here it goes:
What does Xeround provide?
Xeround Cloud Database is the only horizontally scalable and highly available database available for MySQL applications created on the Heroku platform.
Xeround provides unlimited scalability (out/in), built-in replicas and automatic failover for high availability — all in a plug-&-play, simple database service (DBaaS).
How to use Xeround with your MySQL-Heroku application?
Heroku users can use Xeround Cloud Database transparently instead of either the PostgreSQL DB that’s provided with their Heroku instance, or a manually installed MySQL DB.
There are two ways you can create your Xeround Cloud Database instance to use with Heroku:
- Xeround’s add-on for Heroku allows you to create your Xeround DB instance with a single click from within your Heroku environment. This requires no registration to Xeround’s service and the entire process is carried out via Heroku.
- Alternatively, you can sign up to Xeround to create your free cloud database, and then connect your Heroku application to it, just as you would connect your app to any external MySQL database.
How to connect your heroku MySQL app to Xeround:
Depending on how you chose to create your Xeround DB instance, follow these step-by-step instructions to connect your Heroku application to it.
What are the different plans offered for Heroku users?
//UPDATED February 7th, 2012:
Xeround Cloud Database now comes in three editions: Xeround FREE, Xeround BASIC and Xeround PRO. Visit our plans and pricing page to learn about the differences between each edition.
Available Plans When Using Xeround’s Add-on for Heroku:
- Starter: a Xeround FREE database instance at no cost.
- Basic 100MB: A Xeround BASIC database instance up to 100 MB.
- Basic 250MB: A Xeround BASIC database instance up to 250 MB.
- Pro 0.5GB: A Xeround PRO database instance limited up to 0.5GB.
Heroku Add-on Plans Include:
- High-availability guarantee
- Unlimited Throughput for Xeround PRO plan.
- Support included: web, email and phone support 24/7/365
- Scheduled Backups for Xeround PRO.
When creating your DB via Xeround:
- You can choose your preferred plan (Xeround FREE, Xeround BASIC or Xeround PRO) with its associated features and charges.
Why is there a difference?
The difference between creating your database instance via Xeround and our Heroku plans are mainly around the Xeround PRO edition.
When creating your PRO database via Xeround it has no size limit and is charged based on your data size and data transfer usage. Due to current limitations of the Heroku platform, we are unable to offer pay-per-use billing via Heroku and are offering tiered plans, with a 0.5GB cap to the Xeround PRO plan. We are working with Heroku on supporting Pay-per-use plans soon.
Got any other questions? feel free to contact our Support team.